Monday, April 9, 2007

Shopping spree


I picked up a bad habit.

I don’t know how it started or why on earth I did it.

I have never been the type and it puzzles me why I chose to do it.

The habit started a couple of months ago and I’ve only actually realized it when I got my credit card bill the other day.

Now what do you think the bad habit is? Well, the entry title and picture above is a major hint already la :). If you guessed shopping, you’re right but this is not just any ordinary shopping. It’s more of the ‘when i’m upset, I wanna buy things to calm myself’ kind of shopping.

Oh yes..I was in a bit of stress lately. A typical behaviour when I’m sad, hurt or upset at something or someone, is to hide in one corner and cry myself out. But lately, I find myself wanting to buy things just so that I can feel good about myself.

I’m not much of a credit card user. I try to limit my spending and usually, if I want to buy something, I’ll pay in cash. I will only use my card when it’s really, really necessary. And when I do use my card, I will always, always pay in full. I like to settle any dues immediately.

So one morning a few days ago, I was in total panic when I got my credit card statement. Adding up the amount spent for 2 credit card statements came to about RM4000. What the hell did I spend on in one month? And we’re not talking one or two major items here.

Looking back at what I did, I then remembered it was the time when I was really stressed out. I was upset and sad with some people’s behaviour and thought spending on things would make the feeling go away. I should have known better, right? Silly me. So anyway, apart from the normal monthly payment for items (phone bill, insurance etc), I bought myself a handbag, a few work clothes, an I-Pod Nano, a handphone and gifts for some friends. I wasn’t bothered to take out cash and happily used my credit cards when I didn’t have enough cash with me.

I guess I was in some kind of trance and didn’t realize what I was doing. That credit card bill brought me back to reality. I was in shock for a few hours and quickly went on to sort out my finances.

I have paid off everything which means I have to work extra hard to limit my spending for the next few months. Thank God I learnt my lesson much sooner. Thank God it was still under control.

Money is a bit tight as compared to what I’m used to but at least I don’t owe anyone anything.

16 comments:

Angel Eyes said...

Awwww.. i tend to buy things for myself too when i'm upset with something at work you see. Jgn buat lagi camtu babe!

Eh, did u get me my b'day prezzie? *wink*

Mr Incognito said...

reading your post reminded me to pay my sikit lagi overdue credit card bill. i should thank you, really

trueblue said...

Angel Eyes,
Errr..your very belated birthday lunch treat is tomorrow, right?

Mr Incognito,
No problem. I am always here to help :)

pugly said...

Reminds me of my mother's words: "Orang yg paling kaya dalam dunia ni ialah orang yang tak ada hutang apa2 & sesiapa."

How true. Isyk.

That's why I vow never to take out a credit card ever again after this! Enough is enough!

J.T. said...

Hello Trueblue, I was at Syana's blog and decided to hop over to your blog to check you out. So, here I am.

Pugly, your mother speaks the truth. I believe in that saying.

My sharing: When I finally started working and earned enough to be in that bracket to qualify for a credit card, I announced it to my parents. My mum was so nervous about it that she said I am better off without it. My dad quickly jumped in and said, "Let her have the card. She is working and will be responsible for her expenses. If she overspends, I will not bail her out." Then he winked at me.
No, dad never bailed me out because his statement put enough fear in me. I got my card eventually and always paid them in full. I was too afraid to spend beyond my limit.

I must, however, admit that I did splurge at one time or other (because I was feeling down) and dealt with the consequences of impulsive shopping. Rude awakening, I must say, but it reminded me that I am responsible for my actions.

Azer Mantessa said...

ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch

may i suggest singing :-)

trueblue said...

Pugly,
Mothers know best kan? :)

J.T,
Hi there. Thanks for dropping by.
Yup, we have to take responsibility for our actions. Its like the saying, if you do the crime, you'll have to do the time :)

trueblue said...

Azer,
Singing? Hmmm..I guess its worth trying :) What don't you make me that special song?

Unknown said...

Hi Trueblue,

You are so right! Now I prefer paper money to plastic money. Easier to monitor our spending that way.

When I am depressed, which is often these days, what with traffic jams and plenty of un-civics-mindedness, I pi minum latte! Cheaper than shopping, I have learnt..ha ha.

Syaliza Abdul Rahman said...

Trueblue,

I heard the perfect song for a shopping spree: Katharine McPhee's (American Idol) - Open Toes

Try & listen to it :o)

shell said...

I eat when I'm upset. Which I think, is much worse.

trueblue said...

K Ruby,
I will try your way. Will get some latte later :)

Syana,
Really? Ok, will try to get the song

Shell,
I used eat when I got bored. It was during my younger days when I wasn't worried about my weight. Now at this age, dah kena control la :)

Captain Kangaroo said...

"Show meeee the moneeeyyy"

Freak and Geek said...

i feel u. :-(

trueblue said...

drfrappucino,
:)

Freak & Geek,
Hehe..thats good to know

Angel Eyes said...

wang besar! wang besar!

hehe.. i like moolah!