Friday, June 15, 2007

Sorry seems to be the hardest word

"I’m sorry". Sounds like a simple word. You think? What about "Please forgive me". How hard really is it to say you’re sorry? Do you take forever to do it or you don't even think twice about saying it? Maybe how soon you apologise depends on a situation.

So, which type are you?
1. If you know you did something wrong, you’ll quickly apologise. There’s no question about it.
2. You know its not your fault but you can’t stand the silence or you can’t stand that person being angry/hurt, so you apologise anyway. You apologise because you feel "takpelah, I mengalah". You apologise because you feel whats the point of arguing for so long.
3. You had an argument. It may or may not be you’re mistake but you’re too embarrased to say you’re sorry anyway. So you just let it pass..don’t talk about it and act as if nothing happened. You wait until the other person talks to you. If that person brings up the subject, then maybe you’ll apologise.
4. Me? Apologise? Never!! I’m too proud. Nothing is ever my fault.

"Sorry’ is a powerful word. None of us really enjoy finding ourselves in a situation of saying sorry to anyone, but every one of us has had to say it periodically. It is a natural reaction for many and yet a huge obstacle for only a few. An honest apology can mend relationships , dissolve anger, soothe shattered pride or heal a broken heart. Avoiding an apology makes relationships more strained and it can reveal something negative about you. Being incapable of apologising can be a real character flaw.

I always remind myself to apologise immediately if I did something wrong. But I also have a tendency to apologise too soon. Sometimes in mid argument, I would just apologise because I can’t be bothered to prolong the fight. I hate silent treatments. I absolutely detest that situation. So I tend to give in, make the first move and apologise. Even when I know that I didn’t do anything wrong. I think its true when people say that women have a tendency to over-aplogise.This is something that I need to learn to avoid.

If you’re in the wrong and you want to make sure you’re apology is ‘successful’, you need to be regretting your actions, take responsibility for them and be willing to remedy the situation. If two parties are equally at fault, it's still up to one person to initiate an apology. After all, you need to take responsibility for your part. However, there is a chance that, despite your apology, the other person is simply too upset over what's happened and isn't ready to let it go. If our apology isn't accepted, we need to take solace in the fact that we've done all we can, and hope that in time the other person will come around. If not, we should still feel better for admitting our fault and for having had enough empathy to see how our actions have affected someone else. I really need to learn how to do this well. I have a problem with people accepting my apology if their facial expression or body language doesn’t actually show it. Its like saying "I’m sorry" and they reply back with a straight face "Hmm...yelah". I guess different people handle these situations differently. Some people just need to take more time.

I make sure my daughter says sorry everytime she does something wrong. Children need to learn from a very young age. Just because my daughter is just 4 years old doesn't mean she can do whatever she wants and gets away with it easily. Of course sometimes she doesnt realise when she’s being naughty but I do scold her and explain her mistake. So when she does these things and I ask "What do you say, D*?".....She’ll reply "I’m sorry mama.....". She’ll give me a hug and all is well...until of course, when she’s naughty again...... :)

Sorry isn’t really that hard to say. You just need to have a ‘bigger’ heart.

15 comments:

Freak and Geek said...

true. i learn to apologize immediately instead of 'sitting' on the cooling off period. hehehe.. makan berhari2 tuh...

Suraya said...

i read in reader's digest that saying u're sorry can make a difference to the person who hears it, even though u don;t mean it. powerful betul.

J.T. said...

Wonderful posting, Trueblue.

Which type am I? Depending on the situation.
It is true that women tend to be over apologetic and one must draw the line and stop apologising for everything. Sometimes it is not even her fault and she becomes sorry and sad that the relationship is soured.

I am mostly apt to do #1. #2 is also practised a good part of my life. I have to add though that there are other ways of apologising too - for instance by saying something nice or finding out if a person is okay or not.
However, after trying to make peace and the person still ignores me, then I say 'move on'. There is only so much one can do. If the person acknowledges the initial gesture, then I know he/she has room in his/her heart to begin to hear what happened and talk about it.

I totally agree with you when you said "Avoiding an apology makes relationships more strained and it can reveal something negative about you."

Sometimes it is strange that relationships gets strained because one assumes that a person did something.
I was like that with a girlfriend years ago until I found out she was really on my side. We are okay now but the healing process began with me writing to her and asked if she was okay. Then she asked what happened to our friendship. One story got sorted out after another and we apologised to each other. Those are genuine friendships. :)

You have a good weekend, now. Thanks for your posting. A good reflective piece.

ytxis said...

threwblew, im sorry for spelling your name wrongly...

EDDY PURNAMA said...

was blog hopping and dropped by...

at times its easier 2 say sorry so that situation will just not get out of place...and at times you dont mean it tapi terpaksa....

sucks but have 2 live with it..

Anonymous said...

To apologize and say sorry (with intent behind it) takes a very big person to do it. It's not easy to do it since you're admitting that you're WRONG and someone else is right. Your ego takes a beating and it doesn't want to be in that position. That is how I learn my weakness and try to learn from it.

trueblue said...

freak & geek,
Good for you :)

lil' miss easydent,
It does make a difference but if we want to say sorry to someone, its best if we mean it

trueblue said...

j.t,
thank you :)

Another thing I hate about arguments is when people totally shut out and refuse to talk about it. When the truth finally comes out, it was all actually a misunderstanding.

sixtysixty,
Tu macam sengaja nak cari pasal tu :P

trueblue said...

Hi eddy purnama sparrow (wow! glamer nama you)....

Thanks for dropping by.Anyway, I get what you mean and I've been through that. It does totally suck but with some people, thats just what we have to do. *sigh*

fourtysomething,
I agree, its not easy especially if we were the one who thought we were right all along. Admitting mistakes doesn't mean we're weak. It only goes to show we have a bigger heart.

Angel Eyes said...

I'll go for #1 definitely. If i do something wrong, i'll apologize.

But what if you don't do anything wrong but still, still we need to apologize just to make someone else happy?

just my two cents.

Cosmic_GurL said...

Im mostly #1 & 2. I ni tersgt lembut hati la..sometimes I get taken advantage of too :(

gravtkills said...

very hard indeed

trueblue said...

Angeleyes,
I think there comes a time when we need to teach these type of people some lesson. If not, the burden to apologise will forever be with us.

Cosmic_gurl,
I'm so like you too. We have to be tough la babe! :)

trueblue said...

gravtkills,
Yup

Anonymous said...

After getting more than 10000 visitors/day to my website I thought your trueblue-lifestories.blogspot.com website also need unstoppable flow of traffic...

Use this BRAND NEW software and get all the traffic for your website you will ever need ...

= = > > http://get-massive-autopilot-traffic.com

In testing phase it generated 867,981 visitors and $540,340.

Then another $86,299.13 in 90 days to be exact. That's $958.88 a
day!!

And all it took was 10 minutes to set up and run.

But how does it work??

You just configure the system, click the mouse button a few
times, activate the software, copy and paste a few links and
you're done!!

Click the link BELOW as you're about to witness a software that
could be a MAJOR turning point to your success.

= = > > http://get-massive-autopilot-traffic.com